We serve more than 14,000 meals per month and there is still great need in our community.
We address food insecurity by:
• Serving over 14,000 meals per month - almost half of this total are served in-house to our guests. Free meals are served at the Kitchens 7 days per week, 365 days per year. We serve three meals on weekdays and two meals on the weekends.
• Our Student Hunger Program provides over 400 student lunches made daily and delivered to 16 area schools.
• A bulk order of food is delivered to Lincoln Elementary School once a month.
• As well, we contribute food to the Fredericton High School and Leo Hayes High School Culinary Arts Programs each Monday. FHS Kats' Kitchen make 25 halal lunches per day with this food (125 lunches per week). Leo Hayes Feed the Lions uses the food we give to make 300 healthy baggie snacks per week for students.
• Our School Backpack Program provides over 76 backpacks of food for students to take home on the weekends.
• Our Outreach Program provides 50 hot meals a day at lunchtime, five days a week to the John Howard Society (250 meals per week).
• By sharing food donations with sixteen social service agencies weekly including the Fredericton Community Food Centre (The Fredericton Food Bank), the Salvation Army Food Bank and the Oromocto Food Bank. The Kitchen is well placed to receive larger donations from local businesses so we keep what we need and share the rest to minimize waste in our community.
• By providing food boxes in emergency situations. We receive requests primarily from the UNB Community Health Clinic, Capital Region Mental Health & Addictions Association, Partners for Youth, when families arrive to the city, are fleeing difficult situations, are contending with extreme financial hardships, or who have simply run out of food.
• By providing start up food boxes to all individuals moving out of the shelters or rooming houses into supportive housing in partnership with the SUN (Supportive Housing Network) Committee.
• We have 7 staff and over 300 volunteers who work together diligently to fulfill our mandate to "feed the hungry in Fredericton and the surrounding area".
• We receive no funding from any level of government. 100% of our operating budget comes from fundraising and community donations.
You can donate to the Community Kitchens by: